Tuesday 5 June 2012

Bullies and Big Brothers

So, this is all going to be done in parts, as I'm not quite ready for Jayda to be having babies and neither is she!! ;D The last part was from Kayryn's POV and this part is from Lorraine's POV to mix things up a bit! I hope you like it and I'm sorry that it's not that good. Hopefully I'll get better as the challenge progresses! <33

[Part 2]
 *Lorraine's POV*
As I was already running late for school, I ran from the bathroom into the living room to get Kayryn. She was acting odd though and wouldn't move away from her programme. In the end I just left her there. I didn't want to be later than I already was. The bus had already left so I would need to ride my bike there! I just hoped that Deidre had saved me a seat in class!



Since I was late, I was made to do dentention, but it was alright because De stayed with me all the way through. We were best friends. Best friends forever. We even had our own handshake. An hour after the last bell rang, we walked out of school and got onto the bus, sitting next to each other like always. Apart from this time, De seemed a little unhappy at having to sit next to me.

"De?"
"What?"
"Are you ok? You seem unhappy."
"I don't want to talk about it ok!"

I shrugged and left it there, waving goodbye to her as I jumped off the bus at my stop. 



Once I got home, I sat at the dining room table and did my homework, while Kay got some leftovers out of the fridge. I wasn't that keen on the veggie sauce mama had poured all over the meal but I was hungry, so didn't complain too much. And besides, mama wasn't here. I could easily sneak some ice cream afterwards. I kept thinking back to how De had been acting on the bus. Come to think of it, she didn't seem happy in school either. Maybe those posh kids had been teasing her again?

They always teased me. They said horrible things, like I wasn't my mama's child and that I should go back to Texas where I belonged. Yeah, this wasn't Texas. This was Bridgeport. But still. De was from Africa. Well.. She was born in Bridgeport, but her mama and daddy were born in Africa. Therefore she was basically 99% African. We were both teased, but that was how we had become and remained friends this whole time.



The next day De came round after school. She insisted on bringing her laptop, but that was fine. We usually played together on it. This time, she sat there playing on her own and chatting to Clara.
Nobody liked Clara. Well, Clara liked Clara and she was the most popular girl in school.
The thing was, she didn't have any true friends. De and I had always been happy about that, because we had each other. And now De was talking to her?!

I got up from the table and De shut down her computer and got up too.

"Why are you sulking?"

She knew me too well.

"You're talking to Clara. Are you two best friends all of a sudden?"
"Clara's a cool person L. She's going through a tough time at the moment and wants a friend. You could be her friend too you know?"


I almost laughed. Clara didn't want me or De as friends. She wanted to hurt us. Mock us in front of everybody. I tried telling De this, but she wouldn't listen.

"Why are you being so horrible about her L?"
"Have you not been around lately?! She pushed you over and locked me in the janitor closet last week. She constantly mocks our looks and family and where we come from. And you want to be her friend?"


"I'm just saying. You should give her a chance. You're being so horrible lately. Always sniping about Clara. That's probably why she feels upset. You've probably been saying horrible things about me behind my back too Lorraine. NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS!"


I had no idea what to say to that so I just stared at her. My so called best friend. What was Clara doing to her to turn her against me like this? Kay came out and sent Deidre home. She tried to talk to me, but I didn't want to talk to her. She had plently of friends, she was little miss popular. I wanted to talk to someone else. I wanted my mom. I stood and stared out the window, wondering where she was now and whether she was missing me too. I hoped that she'd be back in time for my birthday tomorrow.


Kayryn read me a story and I fell asleep. I felt her kiss my forehead and then leave the room. I waited a few minutes and then jumped out of bed. I didn't even bother putting a jacket on, I just ran. I waited for the lift down to the ground floor and went and sat outside in the cold, scowling at the floor. Why was De doing this?



I got up and went towards the subway station. I would go and visit Jacyi. She'd know how to help. Just before I got on the subway, I saw this strange man hanging around.

"Who are you?"
I yelled at him, but he just ran. I shivered, getting the creeps and boarded the subway. This would take me over the long bridge to the hills where Jacyi lived.



Jacyi had become a celebrity and lived in this huge house across the bridge. Unfortunately, when I got there, nobody was in so I just stood outside for a moment, wondering what to do now. I hadn't been away that long. Not long enough for people to worry. I was just about to sneak into her house, when my phone rang.

"Hallo?"
"Lor, come home. Mama and daddy will be home in about 5 minutes. I need you here!"
"Ok. I'll be as quick as I can."


Kayryn had rung me, telling me that Mama and daddy were on their way home. The house needed to be cleaned and we needed to look as if we were sick to explain why we both weren't at school. I rode home as quickly as my legs would go. Little did I know, Mama and daddy were right behind me in the car.



When I got home, I ran into the living room, straight into mama, who had beaten me home. Stupid subways fault. She immediately got angry at me. I had betrayed her trust. She shouted at me and then grounded Kayryn. I was so shocked. I'd never seen mama yell like that before. After being shouted at, I cried and got out of her way by running away again.



I decided that I would go to see my older brother Flynn. He didn't live too far away from us and he would understand how I felt. Flynn was always getting in trouble with mama. I rang the callbox, hoping he was in. I got the nod that I could go up. Once upstairs, Flynn immediately sensed I was upset and he cheered me up by pulling funny faces and then taking me out on the terace to tell me a ghost story.




"You know, you really should go home now Lorraine."
He'd been saying this for about an hour now, trying to persuade me to go home.


"I don't want to. She has to be punished."
Flynn laughed.
"Punished? Why does mama have to be punished? You and Kay were the ones who decided to skip school! You'll have really bad grades and besides, something bad could of happened to you!"
"I only skipped because De has started being friends with Clara. They're both saying horrible things to me now. De was my best friend."


Flynn sighed and punched my arm lightly.
"Forget about them. Don't let them stop you getting the best education and being who you are. They'll grow up with no friends and you'll grow up to be awesome. But for the time being, you have to face your mama like a big girl. Go home and say sorry."
"You're right. Thank you."


We hugged and Flynn told me to visit anytime. I then ran out and went home to a very worried mama.






4 comments:

  1. Poor Lorraine, but luckily she had her big brother there to talk her into doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flynn was a very good big brother to them all <3

      Delete
  2. Awe what a cute brother/sister bonding moment.

    Ashby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know right! Those two are so cute :D x

      Delete